Radio Teddy Endless Runner is an promotional App for Radio Teddy live events. The game is aimed at small kids and is controlled with a dance mat. The player must navigate Teddy around a series of obstacles or jump across them and collect notes for points.
Genre: Endless Runner
For the first time I completed the pipeline of modelling, pelting, texturing, rigging and animating a 3D character in form of Teddy. I made the level with Unity Terrain and programmed everything. Additionally, I produced other assets like the white and radio house model, drew 2D textures for the Skybox, lend my voice for the sound effects Teddy makes and made particle effects. The starting screen background, the music and assets from the Asset Store like foliage, decoration, butterflies and bunnies are not made by me.
Rocket Fight is a fast paced online multiplayer game with focus on player versus player battles. Control a bazooka armed character and make your opponents life a living hell by knocking them off the map with precise shots. Use the battle arenas environment, power ups and your skills to achieve glorious victory.
In our second semester project my tasks involved designing the game and product management. I was responsibly for developing and evaluating the core of the game, level design, design documentation and basic interface design. Also I composed and updated our Scrum Product Backlog.
This is a level design that I came up with after we had a little trouble finding a common vision for the level. A lot of it didn´t make it into the game, but it gave us a good foundation to discuss and evaluate.
While our first semester project started in complete chaos this time it was the opposite, this time we wanted it to do it right. Early on, we developed a clear vision, made technical prototypes, did sketches to find our art style and set up design/product management documents all under the careful control of agile project management.
In the beginning of production we had a little struggle merging the work of the different departments into one playable project. But after more open communication between the different departments we overcame this first roadblock. Our quick progress gave us the opportunity to evaluate certain parts of the game several times and even add new features that where necessary to ensure a fun game while cutting others that weren´t. Our second game is far from perfect but we managed to produce a game experience that actually is entertaining for a short period of time.
In the 2D Platformer Orb Wizard you slip in the role of our hero Richard. After a tragic fate he tries to get revenge with his newly won magic abilities against hordes of mechanical enemies.
Genre: Platform Shooter
The best word to describe our first project is “Mayhem”. With absolutely no clue of what our team is capable of, missing vital skill sets in all departments and a strictly specified milestone pipeline this project started out pretty bad. Slow progress in pre-production and a good part of the production phase led to conflicts within the team. In an moderated conflict meeting we solved our problems and started working for the first time as a productive unit afterwards. Nonetheless, I didn´t get the animations done properly, our art assets have artifacts or are missing, the design is done poorly and was limited due to my humble programm knowledge, which makes playing Orb Wizard a not so pleasant experience. But the lessons learned where of great value and helped deciding what direction we wanted to take in the future, understanding teaching subjects better because of the practical experience and knowing the value of team management systems.
In the end everybody involved was happy that we managed to finish our first little game and eager to apply the newly gained skills in the next project.
In Beasts of Olymp the player tries to win Zeus favour by competing against the gods in their own board game. To achieve this goal the player must use the environment in combination with elemental attacks to win a turn-based battle.
Platform: Mobile Android
Genre: Turn-Based Strategy
After adding obstacles that do dmg if beasts walk over them we needed an alternative for our automatic path set system. This is a design i came up with, which combines precise handset and automatic system paths.
Starting with high expectations and goals, this project feels like we failed the most out of all our student projects. Not necessary because it is the worst game, but for the fact that we struggled a lot at the end to make „just another student project“ into an adequate game. We adjusted gameplay, art style and even the branding over the course of development in a time consuming process because the game just didn´t feel right. The absence of our main programmer/team lead and a lack of motivation in the team during the last bit of production and pre-production phase was the final nail in the coffin. While Beasts of Olymp was fun to make and could have been a good game, our inability to find the right solutions for certain problems or implementing them casts a bit of a dark shadow over this project.